Segment is a customer data platform (CDP) that allows you to unify and standardize customer data across all your analytics and marketing tools. You can pass events and user traits to Segment from Capable Health to other destinations, such as analytics providers and messaging engagement platforms. Capable offers an integration with Segment. (Please note that Capable also offers an integration integration with Freshpaint, another CDP.) Below, we walk through how to set up the Segment integration.
Segment for Healthcare is HIPAA-eligible and can sign a Business Associate Agreement (BAA). We recommend that you reach out to your Segment representative if you need to sign a BAA.
Please also see our article about identity and tracking user journeys for relevant information about using downstream platforms with Capable.
Select downstream destinations
Before setting up a Segment account, think about which downstream destinations you want to use. Here are some common destination types:
- 📊 Analytics: Platforms for analyzing your customers’ journeys through your application. Example providers include Amplitude, Mixpanel, Looker, and Google Analytics.
- 💬 Communications: Platforms for sending communications to your customers based on events in your app, such as the purchase of a product or completion of a questionnaire. Example providers include Braze, Iterable, and Klaviyo.
- ⏯️ Session Replay: Platforms for viewing user sessions and heatmaps. Example providers include Fullstory, Crazy Egg, and Replay Bird.
How to set up the integration
First, you’ll need to set up a Segment account. We strongly recommend setting up a sandbox environment in Segment for testing purposes in addition to a production environment.
After you have an account, you’ll need to set up Capable Health as a source in the Segment admin portal.
- In the Segment portal, go to the “Sources” section and click “Add Source”.
- In the “Server” category, choose “HTTP API”.
- Click “Add Source”.
- Give the source a name of your choosing.
- Once the source has been created, copy the “Write Key”.
Next, go to your Capable admin portal, to the “Integrations” section, and select the Segment integration. Enter the Write Key you copied in the previous step.
If you have sandbox and production environments in Segment, you’ll need to duplicate this process for each environment.
Events from Capable should now begin flowing to Segment! You can verify that the integration is working by using Segment’s “Debugger” section in the source and triggering events in Capable by calling the relevant API endpoints.
Add downstream destinations in Segment
After you’ve selected and signed up for accounts with downstream platforms, you can add them to your Segment account. In your Segment admin account, go to the “Destinations” section to configure each of the integrations. You’ll need to enter your API credentials for each one.
You can then test each platform to make sure events are flowing from Segment as expected.
Event data sent by Capable
Please see our documentation page about events for details on the specific data sent to Segment from Capable Health.
In addition to the event data, Capable sends the following user characteristics to Segment every time a
Patient Create or
Patient Update event occurs:
Check out other Segment features
Segment offers other functionality you may want to use:
- Track frontend events: You can track frontend events in your app, such as user clicks on specific resources, using Segment.
- Set up a data warehouse: You can set up a data warehouse integration with Segment to store event data for analytics purposes.
Updated 3 months ago